- BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, with increased indigenous content and improved performance, was successfully test-fired from Integrated Test Range, Chandipur off the coast of Odisha on January 20, 2022.
- The launch was conducted by Brahmos Aerospace in close coordination with the teams of Defense Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- In this text-book flight, the missile followed the predicted trajectory meeting all mission objectives.
- The flight test is a major milestone in the way forward for BrahMos programme. The highly manouverable missile cruised at supersonic speed for its maximum range and all mission objectives were met.
- The missile was equipped with the advanced indigenous technologies and followed a modified optimal trajectory for enhanced efficiency and improved performance.
- The missile with the modified control system has been fine tuned to achieve an enhanced capability.
- This flight test was monitored by all the sensors of the range instrumentation including telemetry, radar and electro-optical tracking systems deployed across the eastern coast and the down range ships.
- BrahMos Aerospace, the joint venture between DRDO and NPOM, Russia, has been continuously upgrading the powerful, highly versatile BrahMos to increase its effectiveness and lethality against sea and land targets. BrahMos is the potent missile weapon system already inducted into the Armed Forces.
- The BrahMos(designated PJ-10) is a medium-range ramjet supersonic cruise missile that can be launched from submarine, ships, aircraft or land. It is notably one of the fastest supersonic cruise missiles in the world.
- It is a joint venture between the Russian Federation’s NPO Mashinostroyeniyaand India’s Defense Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), who together have formed BrahMos Aerospace
- Supersonic speed is the speed of an object that exceeds the speed of sound.
Source: THE HINDU.