• The 3rd edition of Indo-Uzbekistan Joint Field Training Exercise “ EX DUSTLIK” concluded at Yangiarik, Uzbekistan on 29 March 2022.
• The joint exercise provided an opportunity for both the contingents to train in Counter Terrorism operations in an semi-urban environment.
• The last two days of the exercise was dedicated to a validation exercise where both contingents jointly conducted simulated operations over extremist groups under a United Nations Mandate.
• The conduct of this exercise, which covered a vast spectrum from cross training & combat conditioning in field conditions, to sports and cultural exchanges has been a grand success. “Exercise DUSTLIK” will enhance the level of defence cooperation between both the Armies and will act as a catalyst for many such joint programs in future to further consolidate the traditional bond of friendship between India and Uzbekistan.
• There is huge potential to increase the bilateral trade between the two countries which is still lagging behind so increasing engagement is a good sign.
• Considering the location of Uzbekistan, it is strategically very important in terms of connectivity into Central Asia and also to Eastern European Countries.
• India has also invited Uzbekistan to join the ambitious International North South Corridor (INSTC).
• India has also been encouraging the students of Uzbekistan to take up education in Indian Universities.
• Apart from all this it is important to engage with this Central Asian country in counter terrorism operations.
Source: THE HINDU