Har Ghar Jal
- Assam On Track To Become ‘Har Ghar Jal’ State By 2024
- 9 Lakh Homes Provided Tap Water Supply In Last 6 Months, Centre Providing Full Assistance To State To Achieve JJM Goal: Secretary, DDWS
About Jal Jeevan Mission:
- The Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) launched with a motto ‘Har Ghar Jal’ in August 2019 aims to provide potable tap water at every doorstep in the country by 2024.
- Jal Jeevan Mission, is envisioned to provide safe and adequate drinking water through individual household tap connections by 2024 to all households in rural India.
- The programme will also implement source sustainability measures as mandatory elements, such as recharge and reuse through grey water management, water conservation, rain water harvesting.
- The Jal Jeevan Mission will be based on a community approach to water and will include extensive Information, Education and communication as a key component of the mission.
- The Jal Jeevan Mission will be based on a community approach to water and will include extensive Information, Education and communication as a key component of the mission. JJM looks to create a jan andolan for water, thereby making it everyone’s priority.
Components under JJM
- Development of in-village piped water supply infrastructure to provide tap water connection to every rural household
- Development of reliable drinking water sources and/ or augmentation of existing sources to provide long-term sustainability of water supply system
- Wherever necessary, bulk water transfer, treatment plants and distribution network to cater to every rural household
- Technological interventions for removal of contaminants where water quality is an issue
- Retrofitting of completed and ongoing schemes to provide FHTCs at minimum service level of 55 lpcd;
- Greywater management.
Source: THE HINDU.