Indian New Year
• The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind has sent his greetings to fellow citizens on the eve of Chaitra Sukladi, Ugadi, Gudi Padwa, Cheti Chand, Navreh and Sajibu Cheiraoba.
• This festival is about the welcoming of the new year and the spring season, and it marks the beginning of the new year of the Vikram Samvat also known as the Vedic calendar.
• Vikram Samvat is based on the day when the emperor Vikramaditya defeated Sakas, invaded Ujjain and called for a new era.
It is celebrated with different names in different regions:
1. Ugadi – Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh
2. Navreh – Kashmir
3. Sajibu Cheiraoba – Manipur
4. Cheti Chand – Sindhis
5. Gudi Padwa – Maharashtra
Source: THE HINDU.