Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)
#GS-03 Science and Technology
About Light Combat Helicopter (LCH):
- LCH is designed and developed indigenously by the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL’s) helicopter division.
- LCH is a twin-engine dedicated combat helicopter of 5 to 8-tonne class.
- The LCH incorporates advanced technologies and stealth features for effective combat roles and has the capability to carry out advanced combat roles such as anti-tank combat, counter surface force operations, counterinsurgency, destruction of enemy air defence, search and rescue etc.
- The LCH is the only attack helicopter in the world that is able to land and take off at an altitude of 5,000 m while carrying a considerable load of weapons and fuel.
- It is able to effectively operate even in temperatures ranging from minus 50 degrees Celsius on snow peaks to 50 degrees Celsius in the desert.
- LCH has been formally inducted into the 143 Helicopter Unit ‘Dhanush’ at the Jodhpur Air Force Station.
- The helicopter has an effective combat radius of 500 km and a service ceiling of 21,000 feet which makes it ideal to operate at high altitude areas of the Siachen glacier.
- The LCH is armed with 20 mm nose gun, 70 mm rockets, anti-tank guided missile ‘Dhruvastra’ and air-to-air missile ‘Mistral-2’ of MBDA which has a maximum interception range of 6.5 km.