- In 2001, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) issued an order establishing it.
- The NTAGI, as India’s top immunization advisory council, advises the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare on vaccination and immunization services for the country’s successful control of vaccine-preventable diseases.
- India’s NTAGI fills a gap in decision-making on the introduction of new vaccines and the expansion of the Universal Immunization Program (UIP).
- NTAGI’s role and membership have grown throughout time to meet the changing demands and goals of the Indian government.
- A Standing Technical Sub-Committee is part of the NTAGI (STSC).
- The STSC is in charge of conducting a technical examination of scientific evidence on vaccination policy and programs.
- The NTAGI drafts final recommendations based on the STSC’s scientific review as well as any other relevant material.
Source The Hindu