PIB Analysis 09-12-22
GAGAN (GPS Aided Geo Augmented Navigation)
- GAGAN (GPS Aided Geo Augmented Navigation) system is a Space Based Augmentation System (SBAS), developed jointly by AAI and ISRO.
- GAGAN is a part of Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS), which takes the input from the core GPS (Global Positioning System) constellation and augments navigation data through the GEO stationary satellites for providing better accuracy, integrity and continuity of service for its application in civil aviation.
- All aircraft being registered in India from 1st January 2019 will mandatorily have to be GAGAN enabled.
- GAGAN has benefits in aviation as well as in non-aviation fields.
- In the aviation sector, on the safety front, GAGAN is operational and offers two levels of service;
- RNP 0.1 (Required Navigation Performance 0.1) over Indian Flight Information region and APV I (Approach with Vertical Guidance, Level I) over major part of Indian landmass, to its aviation users.
- GAGAN can support operations for all phases of flight including Oceanic, Approach, Terminal, Surface.
- GAGAN system provides lower operational minima on non-ILS runways and supports advanced procedures like curved approaches.
- GAGAN helps in designing more efficient routes which can result in fuel savings.
- It can help in operations in areas with absence of navigation infrastructure.
- GAGAN can work as backup to ILS approaches.
- In Non-Aviation, GAGAN helps in Disaster Management.
- With the use of GAGAN message service (GMS), early Warning messages can be broadcast on the occurrence of natural disasters, calamities, dangers for the safety of life within GAGAN coverage area for Search and Rescue Messages, Relief and mitigation related messages, Meteorological information and other uses.
- GAGAN can enhance safety, mobility, regulation and enable payment applications.
- In the road sector, it can offer Smart mobility for lane guidance, better traffic management, speed control and traffic violation, Real time tracking of public transportation assets.
- With the use of GAGAN, initiation of alarm and barrier closure can be automated, monitoring of train movements and automated train stopping can be achieved to reduce the risk of accidents.
- GAGAN can improve Navigation and Positioning in the Indian Subcontinent and Inland waterways by tracking proximity of ships, enabling safe docking of ships at ports, enhancing coastal security and tracking of ships.