- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has greeted the people of Himachal Pradesh on their Statehood Day.
- Himachal Pradesh observes its statehood day on January 25. It became the 18thstate of India in the year 1971.
- It came to being in 1948 as centrally administered territory after the integration of 30 erstwhile princely states.
- This year, the state observes its 50thstatehood day.
- During this occasion, the state-level Golden Jubilee event was conducted at the historic Ridge of Shimla.
About The Ridge:
- The Ridgeroad is a large open space, located in the center of Shimla, the capital city of Himachal Pradesh.
- Underneath the Ridge, large water tanks are placed from which water is supplied to the British era tourist town.
- The Ridge houses the city’s lifeline in terms of the water reservoir, with a capacity of 1,000,000 gallons of water, beneath it.
- Because these tanks are significantly large in size, they have been used as the main water supply for Shimla.
- The reservoir is stated to have been constructed in the 1880s, without using any cement and only lime mortar was used.
- The Ridge is famous for the various government functions and fairs that are held here. It is usually the venue for all such celebrations and events.
- The most famous festival that is held at the Ridge is the Summer Festival.
- This famous festival is held during the months of April or May and the whole of Shimla comes alive with colors and a riot of activities.
- Prominent landmarkson The Ridge include Christ Church, a neo-Gothic structure built in the 1850s, and a Tudorbethan-styled library building
Source The Hindu