Tax Inspectors Without Borders (TIWB)
India’s involvement in the Tax Inspectors Without Borders (TIWB) initiative to enhance the tax administration of Saint Lucia, a Caribbean island nation, represents a notable stride in International collaboration on tax-related issues.
- Being designated as the Partner Administration, India will contribute Tax Experts to facilitate this program spanning 12-18 months.
GS – 02 (International Treaties & Agreements)
- Tax Inspectors Without Borders (TIWB) is a joint initiative of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) supporting countries in building tax audit capacity.
- TIWB Programmes complement the broader efforts of the international community to strengthen co-operation on tax matters and contribute to the domestic resource mobilisation efforts of developing countries.
- They actively contribute to the efforts of developing countries in mobilizing domestic resources.
- The primary goal of the TIWB Initiative is to facilitate the exchange of tax audit knowledge and skills by adopting a focused, real-time “learning by doing” methodology.
- This involves experts collaborating with local tax officials, engaging directly in ongoing audits, and addressing audit-related concerns, particularly those related to international tax matters and general audit practices pertinent to specific cases.
- In a significant development, TIWB launched a program in Saint Lucia in December 2023, with India as the collaborating partner. This initiative underscores the commitment to sharing expertise and fostering mutual learning in the realm of tax audits for the benefit of developing nations.