New Jupiter-like Exoplanet
- A group of scientists recently discovered a new planet. The planet is of the size of Jupiter.
- The new planet is 379 light years away from the earth.
- It is 105 times denser than the earth. The planet is named TOI-2180 b.
About the planet
- It takes 261 days for the planet to orbit its star. Its surface temperature is 76 degrees Celsius.
- It is not only denser than the earth, but also denser than the Jupiter.
- The planet is made of helium and hydrogen. The planet has rings and moons.
- The new planet discovered is a gas giant exoplanet.
- In our solar system, the Jupiter, Neptune, Uranus and Saturn are the gas giants.
- Now, Uranus and Neptune are classified as ice giants for their heavily volatile materials.
- The gas giant planets are made of hydrogen and helium. The gas giants do not have any solid matter. It is full of swirling gases.
- The new planet takes 261 days to revolve around its star. This long period of revolution is not usually found in exoplanets.
- Also, the revolutionary period is shorted for its size. The planet is three times the size of the Jupiter.
- Tom Jacobs. He discovered the exoplanet with the help of NASA telescope.
- Tom also used the help of TESS to discover the planet. TESS is Transitioning Exoplanet Survey Satellite. It is an explorer programme of NASA.
Source: THE HINDU.